13 July, 2010

I am $79.95 poorer, but....

Well, I am $79.95 poorer, but at least the refrigerator got a clean bill of health, for now. The man checked it thoroughly, and confirmed what I suspected: it started behaving again (late last week, a day or two after I phoned in for the repair man to come), before he got here. It was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. At first, he thought not, because the freezer wasn't at zero F (-17.78 C), but was floating around 32 F (0 C). Then he realized it had just slipped into its "defrost mode" before he got here. So, he watched it for a while and found it went in & out of that just fine. He checked it out thoroughly, and found no signs of problems, leaks, etc. The only "things" he found were a clogged freezer drain, which he flushed for me, and that it's nearly empty, and he pointed out that promotes inefficiency. I assured him, as soon as my money is in (due today), that can and will change. He also told me what to look for, how to know if a compressor goes, and how/where the "off" switch is, which I did not know. I told him that was good to know, incase it started doing things it wasn't supposed to do. He agreed. However, he did give me some tentative bad news that was definitely unwelcome. I was just about to ask him what the average lifespan of a refrigerator from that era was, as it is 11 years old, when he volunteered the information: 10 to 15 years. So, he said, at 11, mine was definitely on it's final run, but not having problems - yet. He also explained the kind of things that would be worth fixing on it (fans, seals, etc.) and the kinds of things not worth fixing on it (compressors). In the former case, he said calling him would work, but in the latter case, I would be better off buying a new one. SIGH! Yea, right! Well, all I could tell him was that it had better hold until I get my credit card paid down so I can get one then if I need one, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment